Re: Connecting over UNIX domain sockets - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: Connecting over UNIX domain sockets
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
* John R. Pierce:

> On 02/08/11 6:55 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> I would like to have the option to connect to the database over UNIX
>> domain sockets (sidestepping the question of password management).
>>
>> Even though the JVM knows about UNIX domain sockets, this
>> functionality is not exposed to user code, so we'd have to add some
>> JNI code.  Would you like to integrate this in some way?  If yes,
>> would you prefer a socket-based or libpq-based approach?
>
> socket based would require less work, as you'd just add that to the
> existing socket code, while using libpq would essentially end up with
> an entirely different JDBC.

I would try to add a low-level read/write API to libpq.  libpq would
only handle configuration processing, authentication and the transport
layer (which may include TLS).

> managing and installing JNI based code across platforms is a pain in
> the sternum.

Some people do have working software distribution platforms. 8-)

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99