Re: Growing Database Size Solved - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Growing Database Size Solved
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 18:57:42 +1000,
>   Jason Godden <jasongodden@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>> My mistake - even though I was running VACUUM everyday I wasn't running VACUUM
>> FULL - a VACUUM FULL fixed the problem.  Strange - I thought that regular
>> VACUUM was pretty good these days?

> You need to make sure that FSM is set high enough

The default FSM settings are good for a database of up to maybe 100mb
or so.  For your 2Gb database you probably need to ratchet max_fsm_pages
up by about a factor of 10, and make sure that max_fsm_relations is big
enough for all your tables too.

            regards, tom lane