Re: PGSQL 11.4: shared_buffers and /dev/shm size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Konstantin Malanchev
Subject Re: PGSQL 11.4: shared_buffers and /dev/shm size
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for explanation. work_mem = 512MB and max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 2 and I run only one Postgres
instanceand only one query. EXPLAIN shows "Workers Planned: 2" for this query. Why it can use more than 1GB of
/dev/shm?

Konstantin

> On 9 Jul 2019, at 13:51, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 10:15 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>> * Konstantin Malanchev <hombit@gmail.com> [2019-07-09 12:10]:
>>> I have 8 GB RAM and /dev/shm size is 4GB, and there is no significant memory usage by other system processes. I
surprisedthat Postgres uses more space in /dev/shm than sharred_buffers parameter allows, probably I don't understand
whatthis parameter means.

>>> I have no opportunity to enlarge total RAM and probably this query requires too much RAM to execute. Should
Postgresjust use HDD as temporary storage in this case?