Re: Bulk inserts into two (related) tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Bulk inserts into two (related) tables
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/21/19 10:22 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2019, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> Well you are not going to know the org_id until the organization table
>> is loaded, which means something like:
>>
>> 1) First run through file load the organizations table.
>>
>> 2) Build a mapping of org_id to organization.
>>
>> 3) Run through data file again and load people data using the mapping
>> in 2) to provide the people.org_id.
>
> Adrian,
>
> That's what I planned to do. I wondered if there was a more direct way
> known
> to those with more experience than I have. The short answer is 'no.'

The other way is to create the org_id for each organization ahead of
time and put it into the data file. Either way you have create the
org_id for the FK relationship, it is just a matter of where and when.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com