Re: BUG #8578: loading a 33G (compressed) pg_dump into a fresh host and db instance crashes a postgresql process - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #8578: loading a 33G (compressed) pg_dump into a fresh host and db instance crashes a postgresql process
Date
In response to Re: BUG #8578: loading a 33G (compressed) pg_dump into a fresh host and db instance crashes a postgresql process  (Robert Nix <robert@urban4m.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Robert Nix <robert@urban4m.com> writes:
> Thanks for the quick response, Tom. Sure enough. I found the OOM message in
> syslog. And thanks for the link. I'll try those suggestions. Just out of
> curiosity, will using psql -f alter the behavior, in this case, with
> respect to memory?

No, since the memory consumption was happening on the server side.

It is somewhat of interest why you're apparently getting a memory leak on
the server side, though.  Maybe you were using an unsafely large work_mem
or maintenance_work_mem setting?  I've also seen some reports lately
suggesting that PostGIS might cause intra-query memory leaks, which might
explain this if data_partitions.zone_municipality_demog_houston contains
any PostGIS data types.

            regards, tom lane