Re: plperl error format vs plpgsql error format vs pgTAP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Field
Subject Re: plperl error format vs plpgsql error format vs pgTAP
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On May 29, 11:35 am, robertmh...@gmail.com (Robert Haas) wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Kevin Field <kevinjamesfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Patches welcome. ;-)
>
> >>    http://github.com/theory/pgtap/tree/master/
>
> >> I'm getting a new version ready to release as I type.
>
> > Thanks, great to know.  :)  Although, I do think changing plperl is
> > the more proper option, so I'm going to try there first...
>
> It seems to me that removing line numbers from PL/perl error messages
> is not a good solution to anything.  Line numbers are extremely useful
> for debugging purposes, and getting rid of them because one particular
> testing framework doesn't know how to use regular expressions is
> solving the wrong problem.

You're right, but that's not what I'm proposing...

> I'm also a bit confused because your original post had a line number
> in the PL/pgsql output, too, just formatted slightly differently.  Why
> doesn't that one cause a problem?

The difference is, in PL/pgsql they're in the CONTEXT: line, whereas
in plperl they're in the error line.  This is inconsistent; if we fix
it, we don't need to add kludge to pgTAP.

But later in the thread the desired fix became not changing perl but
instead making a way to report error codes from plperl, which is what
I'm attempting to do with my rusty C skills soon.  plperl should have
ereport() *anyway*, as I believe Tom had insinuated.