Re: libpq.dll - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: libpq.dll
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> > The thing is that I believe that you could find a libpq.dll from the
> > win32
> > postgresql port, but, you're using V .Net, and so, you
> should use a
> > .Net
> > data provider, thus, npgsql, which is just that. If you get
> npgsql,
> > you'll
> > have a nice dll you can add to your project's references, and then,
> > using Npgsql;
> > if you use C#, or in your case, well, hum, I'm not quite
> good enough
> > with
> > visual studio to tell you how to use a dll with your
> project, but it
> > must
> > be possible in a way or another.
> >

> So there is no lib that can be linked without other stuff
> just like we
> use to do
> with libpq.a on Darwin (or Unix) ?
>
> My app doesn't handle any GUI stuff. It just a libpq C
> wrapper. My main
> need
> is to be able to execute "conn = PQconnectdb(cinfo);" etc... in a
> Visual C++
> project.

This sounds like you are developing a Native Application using VC++ .Net. Npgsql (and all other .Net classes) are only
forwhat MS calls "Managed Applications". You can write managed apps in C#, VB, C++ or whatever. But only VC++ can
createa native application. A native application in VC++.Net is basically the same kind of apploication you would
createin any previous version of Visual Studio.

Anyway, to the point. Check out the "Installing on Windows" part of the Administrators Guide for instructions on how to
buildthe DLL and LIB files necessary to use libpq from a native app.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=install-win32.html

//Magnus