What happens when syslog gets blocked? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From decibel
Subject What happens when syslog gets blocked?
Date
List pgsql-general
We recently had a problem with a database where the /var filesystem
got corrupted. This appears to have seriously impacted the ability of
STDERR from Postgres to get put out to disk, which ended up blocking
backends.

Because of this we want to switch from using STDERR to using syslog,
but I'm not sure if syslog() can end up blocking or not. I know that
(by default) syslog uses UDP when logging to an external syslog, but
what happens if you're using the local syslog? Is it still UDP or
some other mechanism that could potentially block the backends?

Also, I think we should either warn users about STDERR (and
presumably the CVS logging) or change things so that something that
breaks logging doesn't block backends.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org