Re: What happens when syslog gets blocked? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: What happens when syslog gets blocked?
Date
List pgsql-general
decibel <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> We recently had a problem with a database where the /var filesystem
> got corrupted. This appears to have seriously impacted the ability of
> STDERR from Postgres to get put out to disk, which ended up blocking
> backends.

> Because of this we want to switch from using STDERR to using syslog,
> but I'm not sure if syslog() can end up blocking or not.

syslog (at least in the implementations I'm familiar with) has the
opposite problem: when the going gets tough, it starts losing messages.
I do not think you'll really be making your life better by switching.

            regards, tom lane