Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output
Date
Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output  (Bradley McLean <brad@bradm.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I can't think of a good reason, but making it a select output makes
> EXPLAIN one of the few things you can't get into the server logs, even
> if you want to.  At DEBUG5, you get almost everything about a query.

... including the query plan dump, no?  I don't see the point here.

One reason in favor of SELECT-like output is that a lot of user
interfaces are not prepared for large NOTICE outputs.  (Even psql
isn't really, since it can't paginate NOTICE output.)