Re: File System backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: File System backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jun 21, 2013, at 12:53, itishree sukla <itishree.sukla@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can any one give me more suggestion, about this problem. Every time my os got restart, postmaster.pid is missing.

Did you perhaps use reboot instead of shutdown -r? The former doesn't do a clean shutdown. That's how it is on *BSD at
least,I don't know about Linux but I assume it behaves the same.

> After that createing postmaster.pid is also not helping to start the server.

Ehrm no, the opposite in fact. If the postmaster PID exists, the postmaster won't start because having multiple
postmastersrunning would get you data corruption.

> I am using postgresql 9.2 in ubuntu, with default installation. Is there any possibility i can take the Data
directorybackup, and install postgresql server, then restore Data directory. Will it work to get back my databases.

What do you hope to accomplish by reinstalling the software? That's most likely not where the problem is.

Check the logs to see if there are any errors when postgres tries to start up. It could be something as simple as a
libraryversion mismatch, or it could be data corruption in the database files.

What file-system is the database on? Is it possible a journal rollback caused inconsistency in the database?

Alban Hertroys