Re: base directory size getting increased - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: base directory size getting increased
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2021-06-07 at 17:48 +0530, Atul Kumar wrote:
> initially pgsql_tmp size was 87 GB and after execution of query it was
> started increasinng beyond 87GBs so yes, pgsql_tmp directory size is
> getting increased while exporting  data into csv file.
>
> But once I rolled back the query, pgsql_tmp directory it was back to
> 87 GBs so please help me in telling how do I clean that 87GB of space
> of pgsql_tmp directory.

The files in that directory will always be cleaned up when the
query that uses the temporary files is done.
The backend process ID of the query is part of the temporary file name.

It could be that such files are left behind after a crash.
If you are sure that the don't belong to a running query (for example,
if their modification timestamp is old), you can delete them.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe