Re: SQL:2011 Valid-Time Support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: SQL:2011 Valid-Time Support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/8/18 11:31, Tom Lane wrote:
> Paul Howells <paul.steven.howells@gmail.com> writes:
>> Has there been or is there any current effort to implement SQL:2011
>> valid-time support in Postgres?
>
> Searching the archives, I can only find "valid-time" appearing in these
> threads related to temporal query processing:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/200702100020.28893.wt%40penguintechs.org

That looks like a pre-standardization variant of the same idea.

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CALNdv1h7TUP24Nro53KecvWB2kwA67p%2BPByDuP6_1GeESTFgSA%40mail.gmail.com

I think those are operators that work on top of having the valid-time
available, but don't do anything about making that time available.

> Anyway, if it's in the standard, then at least in principle we're open
> to it.  There'd probably be some questions about the amount of added
> complexity and whether the feature is worth supporting.  I'd suggest
> trying to get some community buy-in by circulating a design document
> on -hackers before you write any code.

I think there is some interest, so it's worth proceeding like that.