Re: SQL:2011 Valid-Time Support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SQL:2011 Valid-Time Support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Paul Howells <paul.steven.howells@gmail.com> writes:
> Has there been or is there any current effort to implement SQL:2011
> valid-time support in Postgres?

Searching the archives, I can only find "valid-time" appearing in these
threads related to temporal query processing:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/200702100020.28893.wt%40penguintechs.org
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CALNdv1h7TUP24Nro53KecvWB2kwA67p%2BPByDuP6_1GeESTFgSA%40mail.gmail.com

but perhaps that's talking about something different?  Neither of
those threads were discussing features that are already in the
standard, as far as I could see.

Anyway, if it's in the standard, then at least in principle we're open
to it.  There'd probably be some questions about the amount of added
complexity and whether the feature is worth supporting.  I'd suggest
trying to get some community buy-in by circulating a design document
on -hackers before you write any code.