Re: Performance of SELECT directly and from application - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jessica Holle
Subject Re: Performance of SELECT directly and from application
Date
List pgsql-admin
Thanks for this advice.

We found out, that application use the following paramters:
set max_parallel_workers_per_gather to 4;
set min_parallel_table_scan_size = '1MB';
set parallel_setup_cost = 10;
set parallel_tuple_cost = 0.001;

Now they are using standardparamteers and they have restart Wildfly with
deleting tmp and -surprize- as fast as before.

I'm not allowed to post the plan until it is anonymized.

Until now thanks for helping.

Kind regards, Jessica

Am 24.06.20 um 08:14 schrieb Laurenz Albe:
> On Wed, 2020-06-24 at 07:00 +0200, Jessica Holle wrote:
>> we use PostgreSQL 12.3.1 and have a little bit trouble with performance.
>> When the statement comes from the application (wildfly) duration is
>> about 24982.819 ms. When I do the statement directly with psql duration
>> is 967.773 ms.
>> Duration from Wildfly is known becaue we use in postgresql.conf
>> "log_min_duration_statement = 5000". There I see, that from application
>> are 3 variables used.
>> Is there any idea why this can happen or a hint to solve this issue?
> Try using "auto_explain" to get EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS) output for the slow
> execution.  The comparison of these two execution plans would be instructive.
>
> Does the application set any parameters?  Does it use a cursor?
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Jessica Holle
rzv - Rechenzentrum Verden GmbH
Heinrich-Schröder-Weg 1, 27283 Verden (Germany)
Tel.  +49 (0)4231-955 377;  Fax. +49 (0)4231- 955 333
www.vit.de
Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB Nr. 120138
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reinhard Reents
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Anton Fortwengel