Re: Calling function from VFP changes character field to Memo - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Cazabon
Subject Re: Calling function from VFP changes character field to Memo
Date
Re: Calling function from VFP changes character field to Memo  (Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 15/11/2022 2:44 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Frank Cazabon <frank.cazabon@gmail.com> writes:
>> If however I have a function defined like this
>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.testfunction(
>>       )
>>       RETURNS TABLE
>>       (
>>           Firstname character(30)
>>       )
>>       LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
>> AS $BODY$
>> BEGIN
>>       RETURN QUERY SELECT p.cFirstName FROM patients p;
>> END;
>> $BODY$;
>> And I call:
>> SELECT * FROM public.testFunction();
>> Then FirstName returns as a Memo field (similar to a Text field).
> This is mostly about whatever software stack you're using on the
> client side --- Memo is certainly not something Postgres knows about.
>
>> Any idea what I need to do to get it to return the character(30) type?
> There's no chance of getting back the "30" part with this structure,
> because function signatures do not carry length restrictions.
> What I expect is happening is that you get firstname as an
> unspecified-length "character" type, and something on the client
> side is deciding to cope with that by calling it "Memo" instead.
>
> You could perhaps work around that by defining a named composite
> type:
>
> create type testfunction_result as (firstname character(30), ...);
>
> create function testfunction() returns setof testfunction_result as ...
>
>             regards, tom lane
Thanks, so I could define the function like this - removed the (30):

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.testfunction(
      )
      RETURNS TABLE
      (
          Firstname character
      )
      LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'

I'll try the type definition and see if that helps.