Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date
Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit  ("Trevor Talbot" <quension@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
> > why does every backend need its own heap for user32.dll or
> > shell32.dll? Wasn't the point of shared dlls to be shared?
>
> The Desktop Heap appears to be a place for processes belonging to the same
> "desktop" to allocate shared objects such as GUI elements. These are allocated
> in shared space so they can be manipulated by any process running in that
> "desktop".

Using this knowledge and Daves response, also looking back at "3,2kb
per backend", I stumbled upon that KB entry:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B184802&x=15&y=14

Please pay special attention to the following parts:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
   SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
   ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
   ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
   MaxRequestThreads=16

"""The second SharedSection value (3072) is the size of the desktop
heap for each desktop that is associated with the "interactive" window
station WinSta0."""

and further down:

"""All services that are executed under the LocalSystem account with
the Allow Service to Interact with Desktop startup option selected
will use "Winsta0\Default". All these processes will share the same
desktop heap associated with the "Default" application desktop."""

Postgres is definitely NOT started as LocalSystem account; so using a
"logical not" on Microsofts Words that could indicate the reason why
our service-backends consume that memory? Add to this that MS SQL runs
as LocalSystem; and as much as I know also Oracle.

Is this a path of thinking to try?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa