Re: Using C# to create stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: Using C# to create stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom,

Awhile back I read an article claiming that .NET could only host one
language, or at least only languages that differed merely in trivial
syntactic details --- its execution engine isn't flexible enough for
anything truly interesting.

Jim Hugunin (creator of Jython, which is Python on Java Virtual Machine) thought similiar:

"""wanted to understand how Microsoft could have screwed up so badly that the CLR was a worse platform for dynamic languages than the JVM.  My plan was to take a couple of weeks to build a prototype implementation of Python on the CLR and then to use that work to write a short pithy article called, "Why the CLR is a terrible platform for dynamic languages""""

He tried it, wrote Ironpython, was hired by Microsoft...

http://blogs.msdn.com/hugunin/archive/2006/09/05/741605.aspx

So there is proof that .NET is usable for more then one language. (Not that I want to embrace that platform)

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare