Re: UUID as primary key - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: UUID as primary key
Date
List pgsql-general
Vance,

nice that it was of help.

(When going from Java to the database, for example, it's
easiest to compose the value directly into the SQL query rather than
using a parameter.)  This seems quite viable.

Please allow me to recommend to you to NOT go this seemingly easy way. I went there myself (but did it in Python and PHP) some years ago, when I was young and needed the money.

Those "put Data into your SQL Statements with String Substitution" is easy to get working in the first step; but gets very very hard to keep correct in the long run. Please google up topics like "SQL injection" and "escaping characters for SQL" - it is a source of endless frustration.

Another tip to deal with GUIDs in applications:
Because GUIDs are rather long when expressed in base16 (hexadecimal notion), I made a transformer to Base62, using numbers and all regular letters. That shortens the typical GUID from 32chars to 21chars.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare