Character with byte sequence has no equivalent in encoding. - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Neumann, Gregor
Subject Character with byte sequence has no equivalent in encoding.
Date
List pgsql-odbc

Hello Dear Postgresql- Team,

first of all thank you for that great odbc driver!

I discovered an error while using an old version (9.00.02.00) (ANSI) (x64) Version and wanted to ask for some more information on that one.

I get following error when Selecting some data from an PostgreSQL UTF 8 Database:

{"ERROR [22P05] ERROR: character with byte sequence 0xef 0xbc 0x8c in encoding \"UTF8\" has no equivalent in encoding \"WIN1252\";\nError while executing the query"}

When I change the driver to UNICODE I don’t get the error at all. When using Version 10.X I don’t get the error on ANSI nor UNICODE.

So my question is would be, if I understand the problem that was raised:

In my opinion it seems that the PostgreSQL ODBC ANSI(x64), Version 9.00.02.00 tries to convert data from my “select- query” from UTF8 to WIN1252, which doesn’t work.

I could find out that it’s the “fullwidht comma” which raises the error:

https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/ff0c/index.htm

So in general did I understand right, that the ANSI driver  x64 uses WIN1252 internally?

I thought that there is a difference between ANSI / ASCII and WIN1252, that’s why I am a bit confused.

Could you please explain me why the exception came up?

Thank u in advance.

Regards

Gregor Neumann

Attachment