Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Christensen
Subject Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent
Date
Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent
List pgsql-general
Wouldn't (4,3) let me store 0.000 through 9.999?  Maybe I'm still not
following what both numbers mean.

I understand the point about states/counties with 3 decimal digits of
sales tax, so I'd probably want to do (5,5) which should give me
0.00000 - 0.99999, and store 9.825% sales tax as .09825.  I'm
suggesting storing sales tax as a number between 0 and 1 so I can
easily multiply it against a subtotal to get the tax amount, storing
anything over 1.0 is unnecessary.

Also, if you just say "numeric" (without any numbers) then Postgres
lets you store any number you wish and will never do any rounding of
any sort, correct?  If there a price you pay for this in terms of
perf, bytes on disk, etc?

Another idea is if I'm tying myself down to a certain level of decimal
accuracy in the first place, why not just store everything as an Int2?
 9.825% would be stored as 9825 and I'll divide everything by 100000
when I calc sales tax.  If I'm not mistaken, integral data types are
faster for Postgres and less bytes on disk, right?  BTW, I will never
be doing any math using Postgres, it's just for pure storage..

Mike