Re: In one of negative test row-level trigger results into loop - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: In one of negative test row-level trigger results into loop
Date
List pgsql-general
> But some other databases like Oracle handles the scenario reported but not
> loop.
> To handle for After triggers, there is mutation table concept in Oracle due
> to which it errors out
> and for Before triggers, it errors out with "maximum number of recursive SQL
> levels(50) exceeded".

Oracle uses some arbitrary number to prevent you from looping (50 apparently). A limit I've run into for perfectly
validsituations. Thank you for preventing me from doing my job, Oracle.

Both databases have an upper limit. If you reach that limit with Postgres, you made a programming error that is easy to
catchin development (before it reaches production). With Oracle, not so much.

Alban Hertroys