Re: PostgreSQL data loads - turn off WAL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jayadevan M
Subject Re: PostgreSQL data loads - turn off WAL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
> Basically my question is:
> Is there currently any way to avoid wal generation during data load for given
> tables and then have point in time recovery after that?
Please have a look at unlogged and temporary options here -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createtable.html
I don't think they are crash safe and point in time recovery may not be possible for these tables.
If this is something similar to a daily load in a data warehouse, you could consider using temporary tables for all the
processing/aggregationand then move data to the target tables (real, logged tables). This url might also help -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/populate.html
Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:   "The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for the person to whom it is
addressedand may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contactthe sender and destroy all copies of the original communication. IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor
guaranteesthe accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any attachment and is
notliable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."