Re: Object create date - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Object create date
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Dec 29, 2008, at 12:30 PM, George Pavlov wrote:

> 1. not exactly what you were looking for, but i answer this
> partially by putting a commented-out CVS expansion tag (e.g. $Id:)
> in the body of the function so that it gets into the catalog and can
> be searched:
>
>  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo ()
>  RETURNS void AS
>  $BODY$
>  -- $Id: foo.sql,v 1.6 2008/12/23 00:06:52 gpavlov Exp $
>  BEGIN
>
> and query it by something like this:
>
>  select
>    routine_name,
>    substring(routine_definition from E'%#\042-- #\044Id: % Exp #\044#
> \042%' for '#') as cvs_id
>  from information_schema.routines
>  ;
>
> 2. you can also make some inference about the relative timing of
> object creation based on the OIDs (query pg_catalog.pg_proc rather
> than information_schema.routines for proc OIDs).

Hmm...  It seems to me that since object creation time, being
metadata, would be better served being placed in a COMMENT for the
object.  That would have the added bonus of being able to search in
one place (pg_description) across all objects of all types for a given
creation/modification date.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability