RE: Indexing for geographic objects? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Ansley
Subject RE: Indexing for geographic objects?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

To be honest, Tom, I've always seen GiST not just as a great feature, but as an essential feature.  Using Stonebraker's definition of an object-relational database (which I tend to do, as it's the only one that I've read about in depth), we really need to be able to properly index complex data, and using GiST, we can.  Besides, it's just plain useful ;-)

MikeA

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane
To: Michael Ansley
Cc: 'Franck Martin '; 'pgsql-general '; 'pgsql-hackers '; 't.h.p.ansley@durham.co.uk'
Sent: 11-27-00 3:32 AM
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Indexing for geographic objects?

Michael Ansley <Michael.Ansley@intec-telecom-systems.com> writes:
> Remember also that the GiST library has been integrated into PG, (my
brother
> is doing some thesis workon that at the moment),

Yeah?  Does it still work?

Since the GIST code is not tested by any standard regress test, and is
so poorly documented that hardly anyone can be using it, I've always
assumed that it is probably suffering from a severe case of bit-rot.

I'd love to see someone contribute documentation and regression test
cases for it --- it's a great feature, if it works.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com