Re: Re: [GENERAL] Warning: Don't delete those /tmp/.PGSQL.* files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Re: [GENERAL] Warning: Don't delete those /tmp/.PGSQL.* files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 07:41:52PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Actually, this turns out to be similar to what you wrote in
> > http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/1998-08/msg00835.html
>
> Well, we've talked before about moving the socket files to someplace
> safer than /tmp.  The problem is to find another place that's not
> platform-dependent --- else you've got a major configuration headache.

Could this be described in e.g. /etc/postgresql/pg_client.conf?
a la the dbname idea?

I cant remember the exact terminology, but there is a
configuration file for clients, set at compile time where are
set the connection params for clients.

---------

[db_foo]
type=inet
host=srv3.devel.net
port=1234
# there should be a way of specifing dbname later too
database=asdf

[db_baz]
type=unix
socket=/var/lib/postgres/comm/db_baz

--------

Also there should be possible to give another configuration file
with env vars or command-line parameters.

Well, just a idea.

--
marko