Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10 Nov 2010, at 18:30, Jason wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
> it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
> problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
> approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
> previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
> probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
> effort.

What happens if for some other piece of approved software a patch comes out? Do you need to approve the patched version
ofthe software again or is it okay to apply it?

I think you may have made an error by getting specifically PG 8.2.3 approved. I think you should have tried to get 8.2
(withoutthe minor version number) approved instead.
Also, now is probably a good time to start with getting 8.4 or even 9.0 approved, so that you can upgrade in the not
toodistant future.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4cdae95810261036690396!