Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Jason <jason.friess@lmco.com> writes:
> Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
> it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
> problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
> approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
> previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
> probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
> effort.

You really need to get that approval process fixed.  Ammunition for an
update can be found here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release.html
Even if you think you're immune to all the various security issues that
have been fixed since 8.2.3, there are mainstream-case data corruption
issues fixed in (at least) 8.2.5 and 8.2.10 that *will*, sooner or
later, bite you on the rear.  Refusing to accept bugfix updates is not a
path to improved reliability.

> Is 8.2.3 still available anywhere on the PostgreSQL site?  I couldn't find
> it.

Ancient source tarballs here:
ftp://ftp-archives.postgresql.org
(although that seems to be refusing connections right now, I'll bug
Marc about it) or you could check out the appropriate tag from our
git repository.

I don't think we keep old binary versions around anywhere.

            regards, tom lane