Re: Secure connections with changing ip addresses? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Secure connections with changing ip addresses?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jul 28, 2006, at 5:47 PM, gene Campbell wrote:
> I have poked around a bit, and am finally resorting to taking up
> some cycles in this list.
> Please forgive me.
>
> I have a pg_hba.conf file that is setup like this
>
> host    db1 user1     222.152.155.194/32            md5
>
> From time to time, my ISP changes my ip address on me.
> At that point, my connection to this DB is denied.
>
> I have to log in (ssh) to my server, edit this file with the new ip
> address, save and restart to get connectivity back.
>
> Is there a way to have a secure connection that can withstand
> changing ip addresses?

Not via an IP address, but you have bigger issues. You're passing all
your info unencrypted over the internet (basically including the
password).

You should really setup SSL. That would also allow you to do
certificate-based authentication.