Re: Maximum password length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Maximum password length
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn@amazon.com> writes:
> On 9/3/20, 2:14 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> If you insist, I'll change it, but it seems even less likely to ever
>> matter to anybody than the changes to make simple_prompt accept
>> indefinitely long passwords.  (Perhaps a reasonable compromise
>> is to extend this comment to note that we're also not bothering
>> to support indefinitely long passwords.)

> I don't feel strongly about this.  A comment in the code seems
> reasonable.

Alvaro proposes nearby that we ought to have a src/common/ function
to slurp an indefinitely long line from a file [1].  If we do that,
it'd be entirely reasonable to make this code use that.  So maybe
the right comment is "XXX FIXME later".

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200903200842.GA11952%40alvherre.pgsql