Re: PATCH: Using BRIN indexes for sorted output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: PATCH: Using BRIN indexes for sorted output
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 7/14/23 16:42, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 at 16:21, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 7/11/23 13:20, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>>>
>>> The distance is going to be accurate only to the degree that the
>>> summary can produce accurate distances for the datapoints it
>>> represents. That can be quite imprecise due to the nature of the
>>> contained datapoints: a summary of the points (-1, -1) and (1, 1) will
>>> have a minimum distance of 0 to the origin, where the summary (-1, 0)
>>> and (-1, 0.5) would have a much more accurate distance of 1.
>>
>> Ummm, I'm probably missing something, or maybe my mental model of this
>> is just wrong, but why would the distance for the second summary be more
>> accurate? Or what does "more accurate" mean?
>>
>> Is that about the range of distances for the summary? For the first
>> range the summary is a bounding box [(-1,1), (1,1)] so all we know the
>> points may have distance in range [0, sqrt(2)]. While for the second
>> summary it's [1, sqrt(1.25)].
>
> Yes; I was trying to refer to the difference between what results you
> get from the summary vs what results you get from the actual
> datapoints: In this case, for finding points which are closest to the
> origin, the first bounding box has a less accurate estimate than the
> second.

OK. I think regular minmax indexes have a similar issue with
non-distance ordering, because we don't know if the min/max values are
still in the page range (or deleted/updated).

>>> The point I was making is that the summary can only approximate the
>>> distance, and that approximation is fine w.r.t. the BRIN sort
>>> algoritm.
>>>

>> I think as long as the approximation (whatever it means) does not cause
>> differences in results (compared to not using an index), it's OK.

I haven't written any code yet, but I think if we don't try to find the
exact min/max distances for the summary (e.g. by calculating the closest
point exactly) but rather "estimates" that are guaranteed to bound the
actual min/max, that's good enough for the sorting.

For the max, this probably is not an issue, as we can just calculate
distance for the corners and use a maximum of that. At least with
reasonable euclidean distance ... in 2D I'm imagining the bounding box
summary as a rectangle, with the "max distance" being a minimum radius
of a circle containing it (the rectangle).

For min we're looking for the largest radius not intersecting with the
box, which seems harder to calculate I think.

However, now that I'm thinking about it - don't (SP-)GiST indexes
already do pretty much exactly this?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra