Re: large object implementation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: large object implementation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Andy Samuel" <andysamuel@geocities.com> writes:
> I wonder why all large objects is placed in one system table
>  pg_largeobject ).

Why not?  There's no tight limit on the size of a table.

> I just want to trow an idea, why not create a similiar table and added pglo
> ( something like pglo_tablename ).
> This way, the large objects will be spread in every table that has the blob
> type.

But large objects aren't blobs, if by blob you mean something that's
tied to a single table.  There's not a way to associate a large object
with a particular table.  Besides which, we already have TOAST, which
seems to do what you're thinking of.