Re: [HACKERS] Anyone working on asynchronous NOTIFY reception? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Anyone working on asynchronous NOTIFY reception?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brett McCormick <brett@work.chicken.org> writes:
> I don't know how many clients you're running, but sending an empty
> query every second or three isn't too much of a performance hit (I
> know it still sucks though)..

Well, raw performance is only part of it.  Some of the clients will
be accessing the database server across interstate dial-on-demand
ISDN links.  Popping up the link for a minute whenever something
happens (which is likely to be only a few times a day) is cool.
Nailing it up 24x7 to pass a steady flow of empty queries is not cool.

> could you cc copies of mail to the list?  I'm sure we're very
> interested..

Sure, I'll keep you posted.  If anything comes of this I'll be
submitting the mods, of course.