Selects in Function Return Wrong Value - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Nick Thuesen
Subject Selects in Function Return Wrong Value
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'm glad there is a novice mailing list because I've spent to much
time in MSSQL and trying to figure out postgres is very frustrating.
Here's my prob.

I've created a function that uses the 'event' table.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "public"."event_select_on_id" (event_id
integer) RETURNS "public"."event" AS
$body$
DECLARE
       return_event public.event;
BEGIN
    SELECT * INTO return_event FROM event WHERE event_id = $1;
    RETURN return_event;
END;
$body$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;

This was suppose to be a test function so I could get the feeling for
postgres but no matter what value I pass in it always returns the
first item in the table.  This happens even if I pass in an id that
doesn't exists.  I scanned through the archives for a while and can't
figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Thanks in advance for helping a
noob.