Re: Reuse an existing slot with a new initdb - Mailing list pgsql-general

From live-school support
Subject Re: Reuse an existing slot with a new initdb
Date
List pgsql-general
Best Regards

LIVE-SCHOOL FOUNDATION
http://www.live-school.net
infos@live-school.net
On 5/13/2020 1:24 PM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-05-13 at 06:18 -0700, Support wrote:
>> On 5/8/2020 1:51 PM, Support wrote:
>>> I normalized my replislots with the name of my nodes.
>>> I have 2 options in my recovery script that tries first pg_basebackup
>>> to recover and sync the hot standby, but unfortunately big DB fails
>>> sometimes due
>>> to very slow or unstable network. So my second option is to completely
>>> make a new inidb and import an sql file from pg_dumpall master as it
>>> takes less bytes once compressed. But I'm facing an issue with the
>>> slot complaining (obviously) about the ho standby node that does not
>>> match the slot identifier. So my question is simple, is there a way to
>>> reinitialize the slot to not renew the identifier with the new hot
>>> standby initdb?
>> No one has an answer to my question?
> That may be because your question is hard to understand.
>
> You cannot create a standby server using "pg_dumpall", so it is
> unclear what exactly you are doing here.
>
> Also, it is not clear what error message you get.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe
Thanks Laurenz,

I didn't recal that it was not possible to create a hot standby with a
fresh new install and pg_dumpall :(.
only pg_basebackup or an exact copy of the data folder can do it right?
is the reason technical or else?