Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Guillaume Smet" <guillaume.smet@gmail.com> writes:
> On Nov 22, 2007 6:44 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Are you examining only "trivial" queries?  I've been able to identify a
>> couple of new planner hotspots that could explain some slowdown if the
>> planning time is material compared to the execution time.  If you're
>> seeing a slowdown on queries that run for awhile, that would be
>> something else ...

> Yes, I kept only queries with no join and a couple of where
> conditions. As I explained previously, I can reproduce the behavior
> with a single index scan on only one table (plan posted previously).
> If anyone is interested I can post the content of this table (there's
> nothing confidential in it so I should have the customer permission)
> and a couple of instructions to reproduce the test case.

I don't think you need to --- the "read-only transaction" case built
into pgbench is probably an equivalent test.  What it looks like to
me is that the EquivalenceClass mechanism has added a little bit of
overhead, which isn't actually buying much of anything in these
trivial cases.  I'll look at whether it can be short-circuited.