Re: PREPARE TRANSACTION and webapps - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PREPARE TRANSACTION and webapps
Date
List pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> writes:
> At 11:27 PM 11/15/2005 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That said, it seems to me that the prepared-xacts infrastructure could
>> possibly support a separate "suspend transaction" and "resume
>> transaction" facility, if anyone wants to do the legwork to make it
>> happen.  What this would actually be useful for is a fair question
>> though --- what's it do that you don't have now?

> MVCC-style transactions that are not limited by/to database connections.

> This could be useful if you want to have X pending database transactions
> and Y max concurrent database connections, where X is significantly greater
> than Y (magnitudes higher?).

I don't think the prepared-xacts facility has the performance that would
be needed to sustain that kind of usage.   Suspend/resume would not be
all that cheap, and a suspended transaction would still hold a lot of
resources (locks mostly).

            regards, tom lane