Re: PL/pgSQL PERFORM with CTE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: PL/pgSQL PERFORM with CTE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Aug 29, 2013, at 2:48 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> You have yet to supply any arguments which support this position.
>
> I am not convinced that's enough of a reason, but the requirement to use
> PERFORM for SELECTs that aren't stored anywhere actually has prevented
> bugs for me. I am not convinced that's worth the cost since I also have
> been annoyed by it several times, but it's not as crystal clear as you
> paint it.

So now we can revise Josh’s assertion to: “I have seen only tepid, unconvincing arguments which support this position.”

I have thought that PERFORM was useful to mark queries that discard results in the past, but I think now that the
mentalload is higher, even if it can be fixed with CTEs, it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

Best,

David