Re: Time to start the PR machine - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dawid Kuroczko
Subject Re: Time to start the PR machine
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 8/29/05, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 14:05 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Well, folks,  it's that time of year again!  That time when we spend a few
> weeks arguing over phrasing in the PostgreSQL Release.

I'd like to suggest doing 2 press releases:

1. Wide press release showing the coverity results, and saying that 8.1
has just entered beta. Soon.

2. Release notice later in the year.

My experience last year was that the press are interested more in News
or an angle (i.e. #1) and not very interested in software releases (i.e.
#2). I think we *have* to do #2, however...

It seems to me its a good idea.  Such "we've entered beta and we'll bring you all those goodies soon"
message is something which most news services would take without a blink.

Software release somewhat calls for careful evaluation -- like, provide an article with some tests,
look&feel evaluations, etc. ;)

And making "we're doing beta" release sort of prepares ground for such a test.  Some of these
news sources will think: "a lot of goodies there, hmm, maybe we should make our own article
about it when they release 8.1"?

   Regards,
      Dawid