Re: Certification and SRA - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: Certification and SRA
Date
Re: Certification and SRA
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Chris,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this, Fridays can be such a  drag.

On August 26, 2005 03:26 pm, Chris Travers wrote:
> >STEP ONE: debate the merits of creating a standards organization on this
> > mail list
> >
> >This I think is job 1. There's going to be respectful disagreement and I'd
> > like to hear from everybody on this. I'm pro standards group, especially
> > after seeing how well the BSD Certification Group have done their work.
>
> Ok.  I see where you are going.  I am pro-standards-group too, in case
> nobody had guessed :-)  However, my question (especially since you work
> for SRA) is what the perspective is likely to be from the main player in
> this area?  After all we would be lowering the barrier to entry
> substantially.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Do you mean, how does SRA feel about how we would react if there was such a thing as a standards body? In that cae then
Iwould say that a globally agreed set of  standards makes it easier to train people exactly what they need to know to
beable to work with PostgreSQL. There is no 'lowering the barrier' in the sense that an organization who decides to
offerlegitimate training obtains credibility by demonstrating thay they follow what the industry says they need in
theirDBAs.

> The second corrolary question is what the scope of such a standards
> group should be?

I'd like to tackle this from the practical point of view. Standards do two things:

1. they tell people what the industry says they need to know

2. they promote good training programs

Fly by night instructors are what normally forces standards to come into being. Yet standards don't necesarily exist at
thebegining of a new paradign, especially if the pioneers do it right.

> Should it cover curriculum development as well?

Take a look at the BSD Certification Group's work. Their survey contains extensive data on this issue.

> I think curriculum development is more important than certification ... I  wonder if it is putting the cart before
thehorse.

Only if there's no debate in the community about PostgreSQL teaching. Consider the following questions:

How do you know if the curriculum is any good?

How do your peers know what you're about 'without' taking the time getting to know you?

How does an employer know if you have good training?

I've noticed people hire with confidence only when a 3rd party agency says you're good.

--
Robert Bernier
PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst

Tel:  212.244.8833 ext:22

www.sraapowergres.com  robertb@sraapowergres.com
www.sraamerica.com