Re: Certification Available +Pronounce - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Certification Available +Pronounce
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:41:29PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
>>david@fetter.org (David Fetter) writes:
>>>I'm not sure I understand this question.  Could you explain what
>>>purposes and whose interests such a certification, if it existed,
>>>would serve?
>>
>>1.  Create PostgreSQL Certification Program...
>>4.  Profit!...
>
> This is unfair.  Large companies frequently require such
> certification availability in order to consider a technology ready
> for "Enterprise" use.  The value of that technical judgement may be
> 0, but the adoption-rate value of it is not.

Hmm, if some companies like a large available pool of Certified users
for a technology; and others want certified engineers whose certs
really mean something, I could think of ways to do that.

Why not bless every Postgresql Users Group with the ability to issue
"official Postgresql Certifications" to whomever they wish based
on the criteria they choose themselves.

Some would choose to have the hardest-core guru-level certs - and
those recruiters in the know would seek-out and favor those certs
that indicate quality.  Others would have the friendliest "click
yes on the windows installer and you pass" certifications that
would produce the volume of candidates to compete with the
certified Access DBAs that employers might otherwise give job
offers to.

Best thing about this is that it might get more people to check
out the user's groups - which I must admit was an eye-openingly
good experience when I went.