Re: Lower case - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dawid Kuroczko
Subject Re: Lower case
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:01:49 +0000, Vladimir S. Petukhov
<vladimir@sycore.org> wrote:
> I want to do case-insensitivity search, like this
> ... WHERE lower (column_name) LIKE lower (%value%);
> This work fine for English..
> But i need search for Russian words, lower() operator does not work with
> Russian (non-English) chars, but ORDER works fine...
> ???????????????
> What's wrong?

Welllllll...  Have you made an initdb with apropriate locale setting?
Try:
  pg_controldata /var/lib/postgresql/data
(or wherever your db is)
You should see lines like:
LC_COLLATE:                           C
LC_CTYPE:                             C

If you are using Unicode these should be ru_RU.UTF-8, if not then
ru_RU.KOI8-R or something.  If you see 'C', or 'en_EN' or similar
then you won't have Russian lower/upper support (and ORDER BY
was just a "luck" :)).

What you can do:
   pg_dump the database, initdb --locale=ru_RU; pg_restore the database.

Ohhh, and since you're at it, there is one thing which makes me
wonder and if you don't mind, please try it. :)  This will require
plperlu language, so 'createlang plperlu' and that you use
unicode encoding in your database.

Try if this function:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION lc(text) RETURNS text AS $$
        utf8::decode($_[0]);
        return lc($_[0]);
$$ LANGUAGE plperlu STABLE;

Used as select lc(your_text_column) from your_table;
works for Russian alphabet. :)  I'm just cuuurious! :)

   Regards,
      Dawid