Re: Lower case - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Lower case
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 12:01 +0000, Vladimir S. Petukhov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry for my English..
>
> I want to do case-insensitivity search, like this
> ... WHERE lower (column_name) LIKE lower (%value%);
> This work fine for English..
> But i need search for Russian words, lower() operator does not work with
> Russian (non-English) chars, but ORDER works fine...
> ???????????????
> What's wrong?

lower(), upper() and case insensitive search highly depend on
the correct locale. The locale is currently set on initdb
time, that is, when your whole cluster gets created.

If you dont want to recreate your cluster and your db,
you probably need to write a function to lower()
according to your datas locale.

Regards
Tino
--