Re: [HACKERS] scram and \password - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: [HACKERS] scram and \password
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/11/2017 02:21 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 5:35 AM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>> So if the password is not already set, \password uses
>> password_encryption to determine which format to use, and if the
>> password is already set, then the current method is assumed.
>
> Yeah, the problem here being that this routine does not need a live
> connection to work, and we surely don't want to make that mandatory,
> that's why I am suggesting something like the above. Another approach
> would be to switch to SCRAM once password_encryption does this switch
> as well... There is no perfect scenario here.

You might extend PQencryptPassword() to take a method. Or create a new
function that does? Certainly psql has a connection available to run the
ALTER ROLE command that it crafts.

I guess a related problem might be, do we have a SQL visible way to
determine what method is used by the current password for a given role?

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com