Re: Proposal for 9.1: WAL streaming from WAL buffers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal for 9.1: WAL streaming from WAL buffers
Date
Re: Proposal for 9.1: WAL streaming from WAL buffers  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: Proposal for 9.1: WAL streaming from WAL buffers  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> hmm not sure that is what fujii tried to say - I think his point was
> that in the original case we would have serialized all the operations
> (first write+sync on the master, network afterwards and write+sync on
> the slave) and now we could try parallelizing by sending the wal before
> we have synced locally.

Well, we're already not waiting for fsync, which is the slowest part.
If there's a performance problem, it may be because FADVISE_DONTNEED
disables kernel buffering so that we're forced to actually read the data
back from disk before sending it on down the wire.