Re: Review: Patch: Allow substring/replace() to get/set bit values - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Review: Patch: Allow substring/replace() to get/set bit values
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Leonardo F wrote:
>> New version of the patch, let me know if I can fix/change something
>> else.

> All issues addressed, with one tiny nit-pick -- the get_bit and
> set_bit methods are not part of the SQL standard. I took the liberty
> of removing "SQL-standard" from the documentation of these functions
> so that I can mark this "Ready for Committer".

Applied with some further editorialization.  When I looked at how
OVERLAY(text) was implemented, I didn't like it at all, so I took the
liberty of transforming it to C code and then duplicating that
implementation for bit and bytea.  I doubt this would make any
performance difference in simple cases, but it will have less surprise
factor.