Query response time - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jonathan Sinclair
Subject Query response time
Date
Re: Query response time  (Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com>)
Re: Query response time  (Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@sigpipe.cz>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi all,

I am using PostgresSQL 7.4 and having some serious performance issues.
Trawling through the archives and previous posts the only visible advice
I could see was either by running vacuum or setting the fsynch flag to
false.

I am using tables that only contain approx 2GB of data. However
performing a number of simple conditional select statements takes a
great deal of time. Putting limits on the data obviously reduces the
time, but there is still a delay. (Note: on one particular query I set
the limit to 538 and the query returns in under 2mins if the limit
becomes 539 the query loops indefinitely!)
From previous experience I know these delays are longer than both
Informix and MySql. In some instances it takes so long I end up having
to kill the query.

The install was performed by yum onto a RAID server using Centos. I am
sure there is something fundamentally wrong for I can't believe that
postgres would have the reputation it has based on the statistics I'm
getting. Does anyone have any advice?

The data I am using was imported from an Informix system as part of a
migration strategy.
I know this is long shot but I hope someone can shed some light.

Regards,

Jonathan

This email may contain information which is privileged or confidential. This information is intended only for the named
recipient.If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
informationis prohibited. If you have received this email in error, we would be grateful if you would inform us as soon
aspossible by telephoning +44 (0) 1769 573431, or by email to admin@molevalleyfarmers.com and then delete this email.
Viewsor opinions expressed in this email are those of the writer, and are not necessarily the views of Mole Valley
FarmersLimited or its subsidiary companies. Unless specifically stated, this email does not constitute any part of an
offeror contract.