Re: Patch for pg_dump: Multiple -t options and new -T option - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch for pg_dump: Multiple -t options and new -T option
Date
List pgsql-patches
> One problem with this patch is that there's no way to dump multiple
> tables in different schemas.  Does this matter?  It's a bit
> non-orthogonal...

Yeah.  With the combination of -n and -t you can pull a specific table,
but as soon as you allow either switch to be multiple you've got an
inexact tool.

I had thought of allowing -t to be schema.table but I'm worried about
backwards-compatibility issues.  In particular, since we don't support
SQL-style quoting in -t arguments, how could one then select a table
name that actually contains a dot?  Or should we just write off that
case as "stupidity is its own reward"?  It would also be good to not
foreclose the possibility of wild-card matching patterns in these
switches in future.

(BTW, does the patch handle multiple -n switches?)

            regards, tom lane