database speed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Stokes
Subject database speed
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

WE currently use PG for the local database on our POS workstations in shops. Data is then extracted and sent back to
headoffice. Also product updates etc are regularly sent to the shops. I have noticed over time that the shop PG
databasesget slower and slower. If I do a pg_dump, recreate the database and then restore the data - all speed problems
aregone and the database folder shrinks in size substantially.

From this information could anyone tell me what are the likely causes and what we may or may not be doing in our
extractionsand updates that are not good PG insert, update, delete procedures

Thanks

Chris Stokes
Senior Systems Consultant
Bass Software