Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mlw <markw@mohawksoft.com> writes:
> I think that you should create a verbatim implementation of the SysV
> shared memory API in native Win32. It may have to be a pgsysvshm.dll
> or something like it, but I think it is the best possible approach.

> Let me look at it, I may be able to have something pretty quick.

The notion of redesigning the internal API shouldn't be forgotten,
though.  I'm not so dissatisfied with the shmem API (mainly because
it's only relevant at startup; once we've created and attached the
shmem segment, we're done worrying about it).  But the SysV semaphore
API is really kind of ugly, and the ugliness doesn't buy anything except
porting difficulty.  Moreover, putting a cleaner API layer there would
make it easier to experiment with cheaper semaphore primitives, such
as POSIX mutexes.

There was a thread last fall concerning redesigning that code --- I've
forgotten the guy's name, but IIRC he wanted to make a port to QNX6,
and the sema code was getting in the way.  We put the work on hold
because we were getting close to 7.2 release (or thought we were,
anyway) but the project ought to be taken up again.